Monday, February 25, 2019

4 Years Later

I can't believe it! 4 years ago, in a hospital room, we started Love For Blue. It was my Dad's 82nd birthday. He was hospitalized for the second time in 2015. We were all hit with the flu. 

My Dad wasn't doing well. He was so sick. Fighting stage 4 colon cancer. He knew it was bad. And the outlook wasn't great. To be honest, my Dad sent my Mom and I to a meeting with Hospice. The hospital required us to go. Even though, we knew my Dad wouldn't agree to hospice.

It was his 82nd Birthday. I had woken up early in the morning. To decorate his hospital room. Bring a little joy to our life. It was only the end of February, and we had only been home a total of maybe 10 days. Spirits were down.


Here's the thing. My Dad ALWAYS knew, he was going to die. He knew, the cancer was too advanced. There was no cure. But he was also filled with hope. Hope for one more day. To build a legacy. To spend one more day, with my Mom and I.

It was during a stay in the hospital, during Christmas 2014, that my Dad and I talked about this. He wanted to start a foundation. He wanted to continue to help Albuquerque children, even after his passing. And he wanted to help others, fighting cancer.

We talked for a long time about this. He wanted something, that would live beyond his years. Something bigger. Stronger. Hopeful. I had started to create this foundation. Had thoughts about it. Reflected on work, that Patrick Garcia and his family had done.

And on February 25, 2015...Love for Blue was born. In a 3rd floor Presbyterian Hospital room. Just me and him. He watched as I launched our social media accounts...and blog. We designed a T-Shirt. And set a date for our 1st Annual Fundraiser.


This picture was taken just days later. At a surprise Birthday party. That I organized for my Daddy. In the 3rd floor waiting room. Usually a quiet place. And the largest snow storm that year, couldn't keep our friends and family away. We celebrated my Dad in such a BIG way!

He was that kind of guy. Liked to be surrounded by family and friends. Wanted everyone to have a good time. That day, my Dad enjoyed his day so much. I'm sure he knew, it was his last birthday on earth. I knew in my heart, it would be his last. All day, I fought back tears.

And all day long, I thought of that foundation. The dream, goal, and legacy that my Dad wanted to build. I knew on that day, I'd do whatever it took, to make this Foundation a reality. I said so many silent prayers, that my Dad would make it to our 1st Annual Fundraiser.


The thing about cancer is, it is horrible! It eats up a person. And leaves little more, than a shell. It's heartbreaking to watch someone go through cancer. Less than a month later, colon cancer would take my Dad from me.

From us actually. If anyone ever knew my Dad, they knew he was a man of the people. He did for everyone. You couldn't go anywhere, and not run into someone that he knew. It was a blessing.

But that cancer, it was a curse. My Dad laid out so many ways, that he wanted us to grow this foundation. From the beginning, he wanted us to donate money, to cancer research. To the hospital, that took our family under it's wing. And to the countless New Mexico families, that would travel a similar road.

We've done just that. After my Dad's passing, we asked people to donate to the American Cancer Society. And to colon cancer research. Every fundraiser that we've had since, we donate at least 10% to cancer research. And 10% to helping local families.

I've also started the Love Caregivers section. And I send out cards, letters, giftcards, small packages, and kid packages. To families of cancer patients. Focusing on caregivers. I've been a caregiver for nearly 9 years now. I know how difficult it can be. And how lonely it can get.


It's through the vision that my Dad had. Local businessman, Blue Sena. We now put 80% of our fundraising money, towards scholarships. For Albuquerque Youth. We have grown our fundraising efforts. That has grown the money we raise. In turn, it has grown our scholarship funds. 

Currently, we provide 4 Field Trip Scholarships. For $250 each. We have another 4, $250 scholarships for Youth Activities. Such as athletics, music, reading, etc. And we have one $1500 Academic Scholarship. For an APS senior, to attend a New Mexico University.

It is no where near, what my Dad used to do in a single year. But for us, it's HUGE! We are hoping, to increase our Senior scholarship to 2 this school year. We are only able to do this, with all of your support.

I am forever grateful, to all the people who constantly donate items to us. For our fundraisers. Even the smallest of donations, like a scarf, go such a long way. And to all the people that help me, with all the fees associated with our fundraisers. We have so many sponsors, individuals, and businesses that help us. It goes such a long way!

And to everyone that attends our events, purchases a breakfast burrito, or buys from us at the various open Markets where we sell...Thank You! You are one of the reasons why, we continue to grow. This is a community. Our community. And we will only grow and prosper, from building it together.


My Dad, didn't have formal training. He didn't attend school, after 8th grade. He worked hard. Built his business from the ground up. Out of blood, sweat, and tears. Sacrificing so much. So in could turn around, and help others out.

He never told me these things. They were things I watched him do. I watched as he would do field trips for free. How he ALWAYS sponsored youth sports. If he knew you needed it, he was there before you asked.

He taught me that. It's the basis of this foundation. It's why I continue doing what I do. Hosting fundraisers, selling at Markets in the dead of summer, and spending every single day creating items to sell. It's about helping others. Building this community. Making sure, that all of Albuquerque's youth, has the opportunity to excel.

On our 4th Anniversary, I want to let you know about our plans. Our 5th Annual Fundraiser will be this April. We will have a 5K, Fun Walk, Bake Sale, Craft Sale, and Car Show. I'm pretty excited about this one! Guys let's make it a BIG one!

In July we've planned a Tea Party.  Our 1st Annual Dinner and Dance is set for November. And we're working on a fun Holiday Party in December. We can always use more hands to help. More people to spread the word. And of course, tons of volunteers!

As we continue to grow, I'm amazed. By how much, one person's vision, can change the world. How we can all come together, and accomplish so much! It really does make my heart, explode with love. And I'm so grateful to all of you!

As a reminder, we have our 5th Annual Fundraiser Applications up. If you'd like to register for the 5K, Fun Walk, or Car Show...please let me know. I can take applications by email. And payments by Square. I'm also available to meet you. I'm just so proud of where we are. In 4 short years. And can't wait, to see how far we can grow this foundation in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Years Later

I can't believe it! 4 years ago, in a hospital room, we started Love For Blue. It was my Dad's 82nd birthday. He was hospitalized f...